Saturday, March 17, 2007

Popularity or Criticism

I was watching this talk show on TV and a prominent sports person from my country was posed this question: Popularity or Criticism – Which is harder to face?

Well, I’d encourage you to answer that question for yourself before you go on! : )

He tactfully answered it saying that they both have their Pros and Cons and you really cannot tell. Constructive Criticism he said helps but still may not be pleasant and popularity does get into your head but definitely feels more pleasant.

Personally I find criticism, constructive or otherwise difficult to take but I thrive on appreciation. Well, who does not? ; )

Anywayz, the point is I *know* criticism really helps me and am ultimately so grateful to the people who take the time to let me know when I am out of line. Popularity on the other hand, makes me feel like a princess for a day but the bad side is I may wake up the next morning and find it was all a dream!

The difference is one is an instant energizer the other a pill that will help with time. And some of us need more of any one while others need an equal portion of both but none can live without either. My point: I’m going to be happy when I am dished out either coz they complement each other and generally come together.

So getting back to our question, which is harder?
I’m just gonna have to tactfully say that they both have their Pros and Cons and you really cannot tell. ;)

Dear Mister God, this is @ina talking . . . I’m glad that you blend into our lives a perfect mix of things that enable us to grow into your perfection.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was a nice food for thought...

Yes, you are right about it. Here goes my view, If I am good at something and some one praises me for that, ofcourse, I feel great. But then when I think deep, its something which I am capable of doing at its best...so, whats the big deal, I did it, because I am an expert in it or I knew it very well or I am a perfectionist in that context.

But some one criticizes me, says this was good but something could be improved, naturally I feel bit odd...Again, its a part of the process which we become an expert in new things...No one can just do things so well at the first time :)

I remember a dialogue from a tamil film "Which ever piece of stone is feeling bad to be worked on by chisel cannot become a good sculpture".

:) Nice post !! keep going!!

Anita said...

Hi Gokul!

Your right. I guess popularity boosts our confidence and good criticism encourages us to grow.

Thanks for sharing... enjoyed reading your thoughts... :)