Friday, March 30, 2007

Don’t say what you don’t mean

Words have always enthralled me because words have life. And the life that is given to them is breathed by the speaker of these words.

They can make you sing or they can make you sad. They can make you laugh or they can make you cry. They can heal, or they can hurt. They can give you wings to soar or they can chain you to a dark dungeon. They can make bright days seem gloomy or gloomy days seem brighter than the sun. They can charm your heart or cheat your mind. They can beckon you into new heights or can cause you to fall into deep pits.

They have the power of life and death.

I went through a distressing time this week when I had to be stern with a few of the people I interact with on a daily basis. My mind threw up words that would have wounded. Words that were careless and insensitive. Words that I knew were not to be uttered but God knows I was more than willing to utter.

But through it all that small firm voice said to me again and again: Don’t say what you don’t mean.

I had to wait to calm down.

Fast forward: I did not say what I wanted to say and guess what? The problem was resolved in a more gracious way because of the choice of the words and tone that was soft and gentle but conveyed the message.

It was worth the wait and at the end of it all we could all still smile.

Dear Mister God, this is @ina talking . . . So grateful to you for the grace you bestowed on me. But for you I am nothing.

4 comments:

ankurindia said...

your blog and post have a real great meaning .Excellent work .

Anonymous said...

Yes true !! But we cannot be so good always..Even if we are good by our inner selves, some times we got to fake ourselves otherwise people take us for granted !! Similar to the incident I told you at my work :( But thats all after the threshold is crossed :)

But then, the consequences does matter...Even some times leads to breaking relationships :)

Keep going!!

Anita said...

Hi ankur!

Thank you. :)

Just visited your blog... you have a pretty neat space too!

Hi Gokul!

hmmm... I know what you mean. It's a fine line at times and it is difficult to judge what needs to be said and what not...

Anyways hope that situation at work is all better now!

TC.

Unknown said...

Hey, good one.. I dint some blunders, all are same, in the past with out fast fwding and looking at the outcome. After facing the outcome I realised that I would not have done. I guess, Jordan's saying implies to me... I pray GOD and ask him to help me in this matter...