Friday, May 22, 2009

The Key to Happiness

This must be one of the most debated topics in the world. And its probably true that one size does not fit all. In the sense that each of us will need to find out what the key to our happiness is.

I have spent many long evenings starring at the stars wondering what would make me happy. I know that nothing excites me more than knowing that I am capable of and many times do make a difference in the lives around me.

Having said that this post is more about a general rule of thumb for happiness. Most of my posts are inspired by conversations with those around me and so is this one.

X asked me, did you really enjoy it? We were talking about the year I spent in another country. My spontaneous reply was, I went there without any expectations and so every smallest kind act or word felt like a surprise gift. And everyday I would find myself receiving such gifts big and small from different places and people that it kept me happy most of the time!

Ah! Said X, Having no expectations is the key to happiness.

I haven't quite thought of it that way, but its true. In an unfamiliar country with new friends its easier to have no expectations and thereby be pleasantly surprised over every good thing but back home I guess take-it-for-granted rules over no-expectations.

So is no expectations a general key to happiness? Definitely worth a thought!

Dear Mister God, this is @ina talking. . . May I always have the humility to remember every kindness is a gift.

3 comments:

R Karthick said...

:-)

I agree almost instantly. Having no expectations is indeed a path to happiness. However, what if you are unhappy about the fact that you are not having any expectations. No one size fits all, I guess sometimes we set ourselves expectations just to be happy. thoughts?

Anita said...

Hi There!

Hmmm... interesting questions - what if we are unhappy about having no expectations...

i guess we have to distinguish between having expectations of ourselves and others... having expectations of myself is important to my happiness ...

but then again, expecting dad to say that nice thing i know he will say or mom to cook the meal I like keeps me happy too...

Tricky isnt it?

Nice to hear from you!

Densingh Joshua Israel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.