Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Finding Comfort

I had to take my baby boy today for his vaccines. Its his post 6 months ones...since his first vaccine the nurses are always surprised how quickly he calms down. All I have to do is pick him up, give him a good cuddle and then try and point something interesting to take his mind off the pain.
 
His cry in pain is very different from his other cries... its a very deep wail, the sound comes only in pauses but he breathes deeply and I could feel the hurt. Today he had one injection and in a matter of 10 seconds maybe 20 at the most I could calm him down. In fact he was giving me little laughs.
 
It amazes me how he takes comfort in me holding him and saying its okay. How quickly he responds to me saying "Look its a giraffe! and tickling his ears with the giraffes soft tail". :)
 
This evening when we were out on a walk, I bumped the stroller on the sidewalk as I made a turn and his little chin got hurt. I could even see a bit of blood (Its the first time I saw blood) I panicked and picked him up and even the wail he was just starting stopped mid way. "I am in mommy's arms, I am okay..." was that what he was thinking?
 
Made me think of how easy it is to find comfort in the hands of the almighty if we choose to. He holds us in his arms, and when we take our broken hearts, lives, hopes or dreams to him He gives us an eternal perspective on things that fills us with peace beyond understanding and joy that is complete. Yet I choose to wail and rant and hold on to my grief instead of looking to him for comfort.
 
Dear Mister God, this is @ina...Help me to look to you for comfort and stay calm in your presence through life's turmoils. May our little one always know you are near to comfort and direct him in all life's ups and downs.