Friday, August 25, 2006

Loving People

A friend who I thought I knew and love and care for, *did* something that was very contradicting to who I felt I knew her to be and it in a way makes it hard for me to just love her.

It has left me thinking about this one question: Do I love people for what they do? Or Do I love people for who they are?

Pause… Putting on my thinking cap…

When you actually think about it, it’s a little hard to differentiate between the two. In the sense that, who I am is reflected by what I do and what I do in turn reflects on who I am. But despite the parallels I believe there is a lot of difference between the two.

I for one would like to be loved for who I am rather than what I do or don’t do for that matter. True love, I believe is not based on actions but looks beyond that into the heart behind the actions. True love understands what to others is not understandable. True love, keeps loving despite the odds coz the person is more important than the deeds.

That reminds me of my best friend whom I have known since my childhood. There are days, weeks when we sometimes can’t keep in touch or be there for each other and sometimes we fail to *do* all that friends ought to *do* for each other but none of it matters to us. We catch up when we can and time together is always beautiful. Put simply we love each other for who we are.

Coming back to where we started… Do I love people for what they do? Or Do I love people for who they are? Guess it’s a choice I make everyday.

Dear Mister God, this is @ina talking . . . If you were to love me based on what I do, I’m lost!

3 comments:

R Karthick said...

I do understand the basis of your blog.

Somepeople might say, true love is something which grows, "irrespective" of who the person is and what the person do. I will agree to that.! It is something subconsious, hard to put it into logic/rules.

And also there are few people who might say, true love is something, which grows, "inspite" of who the person is and what that person does. :-))

get the difference ;-)! as you said, itz all a matter of choice @ the end of the day.

Anita said...

Hi again!

Hmmm.. My comparison was basicaly between loving a person for just being them vs loving a person for their actions...

Perhaps you are looking at it in a slightly different angle... are you saying one loves irrespective of or in spite of who a person is based on choice...?

Perhaps that means that true love is not based on who the person is or what they do but rather on loves nature itself to see beyond that....

Anita said...

Hi sudha!

Nice thought! Thanks for sharing... :)