Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Is it real?

A friend and I enjoy receiving beautiful pictures of nature via email. Sometimes it’s pictures of the four seasons in countries we have never been, or its pictures of valleys, mountains, waterfalls etc. Whenever we get these pics we share them amongst ourselves and a few other friends.

Oft the first question raised is “Is it real?”. In a world were anything is possible on the computer with graphics and animation, it is actually quite hard to believe that these pics are for real. And somehow the more beautiful the picture is the harder it is to believe that they are real.

While having one such discussion, my friend remarked, “Anything that’s perfectly beautiful, we just can’t accept it, can we? We have got to think it cannot be real!!”

True! It also applies to stories I read or hear. Like, the other day I read this story about a person who made it despite a thousand odds in the sporting field, and the first question that crossed my mind was “Is it real?”

I wonder what it is in us that just refuses to allow us to accept something that is beautiful, perfect, or extraordinary? I wonder…

Dear Mister God, this is @ina talking . . . guess that’s perhaps the reason we people ask you if you are for real too?!

No comments: