Saturday, July 29, 2006

On Branded Stuff

I found myself dressed in branded stuff today. I was quite shocked when I realized it because I am not someone who is very much into buying branded stuff but have been doing so lately for various reasons like the colors, fits and material.

My mother reads up about all the brands and would always give me advice such as X jeans do not respect human rights in third world countries and Y jeans are so much better in their policies so buy Y and not X. She herself follows these standards about buying anything from coffee that costs almost nothing to shoes or clothes or whatever. I also come from a country which has a heritage of wining it’s independence through boldly defying the norm and by boycotting products that did not respect human rights.

Today however we as a generation are hardly sensitive to such pleas even if we heard them. Comfort, looks and trends are more important to us than the ethics. I cannot boast of caring even half as much as my mum does or the generations before her about what X or Y factory does as long as X or Y is affordable.

Callous isn’t it? Just got me thinking. Some things need to be passed on from one generation to another.

Dear Mister God, this is @ina talking . . . Wake me up! Wake up my generation!

1 comment:

Anita said...

Hi Sudha!

Welcome to my page! :) Nice to see you here...!

Yeah, a lot has changed in recent times... my post is basically about corporate ethics, and the power of the comman man to make a diffrence in their market trends... however I hear you! You're right, a lot is changing these days in terms of culture with globalisation. I guess the best we can do as individuals, is to make wise choices and make a difference in our own way! Ya?