Wednesday, July 05, 2006

On a Holiday

I had been on a holiday with my friends and colleagues, to a beautiful hill station. Here’s a recollection of my most cherished moments:

Day 1: We were packed and raring to go on Friday night. The train was at nine and we all jammed in. The best bit of the journey was staying up late into the night chatting non-stop! The next morning we got of on our station at 4 am. It was cold and the chirping of birds was so loud that I had to raise your voice to be heard. My heart was excited and the sights and sounds made me feel like I was part of the opening scene in the movie Sound of Music! :) The hills are alive . . .

We reached our hotel around mid-morning. It was a beautiful place perched a little higher than the village that surrounded it. Our room had a lovely French window on one side from where I could see part of the village, comfy chairs to recline, and a huge bed in the center! Jus Peeeeeeeeerfect! :)

Washed and loaded with a big breakfast we did a bit of sight seeing that day and where back by late afternoon. Too excited to rest a few friends and I took a walk around the place and just enjoyed the sights and scenes of the hills. Every turn brought you to a new place! Every hill looked so alike and yet was so different. I couldn’t get enough of it!

Late that eve we settled down to play some indoor games and I got to pick up a table tennis racket for the first time. It was fun. With a slight change in the rules of the game we proved to be experts! The rule being the ball can go anywhere in the room other than on the table! ;)

Day 2: One of my friends came knocking at half past 5 in the morning. I was the only one semi-awake so dragged myself from under the thick sheets that helped keep me warm in the freezing temperature and opened the door. She had come to pick up a sweater she had left the previous night. Am going for a walk she proclaimed, and before she could finish I was grabbing my sweater and running after her.

The morning is the most beautiful time to experience the hills and I just did not want to miss it. We went on a steep climb from on narrow road, from where we could see quite far and wide. The rustling of the leaves and the not-at-all gentle breeze is something I can’t ever forget. We plodded on, picking wild flowers and chatting.

Just when we were thinking it would be nice to have a hot cup of tea we bumped into a couple of other friends who had also decided to come out for a walk. We joined company and since no tea shop was open we decided to instead trek a near by mountain. Has we began our climb, using a narrow path probably left by those who come that way to collect fire wood we were joined by a fluffy dog! He decided to be our guide and marched on in front of us!! Overjoyed dog and man exchanged roles and we followed faithfully till we reached the top. It was beautiful. The breeze was so strong that the trees waved like a flag. We stood for awhile, took a couple of pictures and began our climb down. Of course with our expert guide we had no reason to worry. As we made it back to the road, we turned around to thank our faithful friend and found he was no where! He had left, who knows what else was on his agenda for that day! We rounded up our trek with a hot cup of tea and were back just in time to get ready and set out for sight seeing.

Our agenda included a lot of trekking and rock climbing. I can’t say it fun at all times but it was definitely worth it and I enjoyed it. Cause after what seemed like endless walking we reached rocks suspended in the middle of nowhere from where we could view breathtaking sights.

The day ended with a bonfire. I grabbed on my sweat shirt, a pullover and a scarf and made my way along with friends to what was a small amphitheater with a bonfire in the center. We had loud music, games, dancing and a whole lot of laughs! :D After the festivity was over and all left a few of us returned to the same place later that night. The place that was full of life hardly an hour ago was now perfectly silent. We huddled close to fire which was almost dying out. In the strong breeze that blew now and then the embers flew high, and looked like fire flies in the dark night sky.

Day 3: A few of my friends and I woke up early. We had decided to trek the same near by mountain and this time reach a little spring we had noticed the other day from the top. So off we went, camera in hand and sweaters wrapped around us. We reached the spot where we could see the spring flow over the rocks but actually getting down to the rocks seemed a lot harder. After contemplating the risk we decided to give it a shot anyway. We made it without much too much of trouble and soon found ourselves sitting on a rock with a beautiful stream flowing around us, among flowers that were the size of our heads! My friends requested a song, and so I sang “Over the mountains and the seas...” to my petite audience. It’s a moment that shall remain forever etched in my heart.

Later that eve, after our regular sight seeing for the day we took a long walk to a lake nearby. We rented out cycles for an hour and rode around the lake. I have not been on a bicycle for ages and riding it brought back childhood memories. The lake was beautiful and the only way to best experience it was on a bicycle! It was so much of fun!! That was followed by a little treat washed down with a hot cup of tea!

Day 4: I just wanted to warp myself tight and sleep but this was gonna be our last morning on the hill and I just could not miss it. So forcing myself out of bed I found company and decided to go out. I walked a little way and since the others decided to trek and I was not too eager to do so, took a short walk back singing at the top of my voice! Thank God, there was no one around! :)

As I reached base I found another troop just starting out into the mountains and joined them. We took an entirely different road that led up to an old school. The building was completely run down and the board said “Batch of ‘86’!” Hmmm…eerie! After taking a few snaps we hitchhiked our way back on a local bus glad to be back to familiar ground! ;)

The trip was almost done. We were to check out and spend the day near the lake bicycling, taking pictures and shopping. Gathering my stuff together, as we left the room, I could not help kneeling by my bed side and saying a simple short Thank you. This holiday had turned out to be more beautiful than I had thought or hoped.

Dear Mister God, this is @ina talking . . . Glad you convinced me to go! :)

No comments: