Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Biting into the Bait

The bait was all set up. It was covered with a large piece of fresh meat and I would think looked really tempting to a born predator. Leaves and mud was used to make the place look as unsuspecting as possible to the wild cat who was supposed to be the unknowing victim.

As time passed she finally appeared. Cautiously she approached her instincts at full alert. The smell of the meat was irresistible and was drawing her closer and closer till finally she was within sight of the bait.

I was routing for her. "No, don't, don't" I cried, at the top of my voice. Of course she could not hear me, through the television screen. She pounced on the meat and before I knew it was lost in the pit just below the bait, her trap!

...Okay, that was not a pleasant story and I apologize. The reason I narrated it however is coz it has a very apt life lesson to teach me.

I found myself caught in a similar drama recently. I was totally on the right (for once!) and X was on the wrong. X however decided to throw up a tantrum and be generally *bad*. And I *so* wanted to get back. I *so* wanted to prove myself. I *so* wanted to prove my point. I *so* wanted to...

But I knew that the right thing to do was to let it pass. Unfortunately... (!?) The bait was set and I like the wild cat just wanted to pounce on the meat. It was irresistible but not wise. Today somehow I did not bite the bait but I know there have been ‘n’ times I have and the outcome has never really benefited anyone.

So hey out there! Think again . . . it may just be a temper tantrum or an addiction of some kind. Like I said think again because once entangled it’s even harder to get out of it and it just ain’t worth it!

Dear Mister God, this is @ina talking . . . I know you always route for me, help me not to neglect your call.

3 comments:

Anita said...

This post was written by me about eight months ago and i happened to come across it while going thru some of my stuff... just decided to post it 'coz i can still relate to it... and i still find the bait hard to resist! ;)

Anita said...

Hi Sudha!

You make me smile! :)

Yep, I agree with you - God is the best at taking Care of us at the EOD! :)

Daniel Andrew said...

true indeed...
well conveyed