Monday, November 07, 2005

24 * 7 on Planet Earth

One of the papers I read had a caricature that was a pun of a local news channel calling it a 24*7 'National Disaster TV'. Pun though it might have been they had a point! We seem to be living on a planet earth that is prone to disaster 24*7 .

A couple of weeks ago I watched a documentary on the Russian hostage situation in a school that lasted for three days. Tears ran down my cheeks as I heard one little boy, a survivor who saw his dad killed and his friends die before him say with a glimmer of hope in his eyes "I wished Harry Potter would come and save us all... "

When I was a little child Batman was the craze. I watched the masked hero, in a long cape save Gotham city from its many villains and their wicked schemes. Batman is portrayed as the Mr. Average Guy who fights for the oppressed, speaks for the unheard and stands for the truth. At the end of the show I almost always caught myself wishing I was in his shoes.

I realize I could not be there for that little boy who lost his loved ones and a part of his childhood in the process, or there for that family of 12 huddled in the dark with nothing to eat for days on end, or there when the hurricane struck and whisked away an entire community.
But I am here, 24*7 on planet earth, given the opportunity to be a hero in my own sphere of life.

Dear Mister God, this is @ina talking . . . 24*7 is a lot of time to spend it all on myself like I most often do. I may be an ordinary person but I sure want to live an extraordinary life. I must go the extra mile.

No comments: