Friday, November 25, 2005

Bubbles

Something totally beyond my control had happened and there was nothing I could do about it. It made me sad and I tried to hide it. But my friend noticed, came over, stood by me and made sure I was fine. In fact she had me laughing in a while by being sensitive to the way I felt.

It reminded me of a concept I learnt explained by the use of bubbles (Yes, bubbles!) in a seminar on inter-personal skills. When you see bubbles in water, it's an indication of life beneath the surface. You can't see it, it's not obvious but it does indicate that something's there. So also in life we come across bubbles of different sorts. Some are verbal and others are non-verbal. A sigh, a slouching shoulder, a downcast face, a distraught mind, a statement like 'whatever!', a tear so on and so forth. They may or may not be obvious, but ultimately they convey that something’s not quite right somewhere inside.

Being alert to listen to bubbles and respond to them can be of good help. One, If I find myself sending out a bubble (a snappy reply for example) I know I gotta take Time-Out and set things right within me. (Must confess, it does come in handy!) Two, I have that unique chance to put a smile on someone's face by responding aptly. Like my friend did! :-)

Dear Mister God, this is @ina talking . . . I guess these are the sounds that attract heavens attention. The soft, subtle sounds that many a time no one knows but you understand.

No comments: