Friday, February 17, 2006

A glimpse into a Dads Heart

Recently I was caught unexpectedly in a special moment that lasted briefly but had an impact on me.

I got to watch a Dad, walk his son through an admission process for education. Dad held on to a file full of papers, cautiously looking through them time and again. I could see the pain and pressure in his face, and it seemed like he himself was going through the rigid process. He stood by his son all through, patiently, supportively and seemingly willing to sacrifice all to see his son's long term happiness.

It brought back scores of such like 'Dad Moments' in my life when I have been overwhelmed by my Dad’s concern and care. But I did not know it then. (Neither did the son I was taking about) I misunderstood him, disrespected him, acted like I was embarrassed of him, shunned him…the list is long and I'd really rather not talk about it.

But something of that moment has changed something within me. I felt like for a moment I was swapped into the heart of that Dad. I could literally feel what he was feeling. And it felt so entirely different. I have never seen things from 'Dads' shoes. The only way I saw things was through 'my' shoes and so this was *so* weird in some ways.

If I knew Dad’s heart better, I bet there are a lot of things I'd do diffrently. But all said and done once the moment passes it's hard to hold on to the lesson.

Dear Mister God, this is @ina talking . . . Kinda a peek into your heart too, ain't it? Just a glimpse and I am awed.

No comments: