Wednesday, February 08, 2006

My piece of the sky

A couple of years ago we moved into a house of our own in the suburbs. It was quite a drastic change to the apartments we lived in before that and we enjoyed every bit of our new experience.

One particular night is still so fresh in my memory. My grandparents had come over and we were all sitting outside and looking at the star studded sky in absolute admiration. You see, in the apartment we used to live it was quite impossible to see the vast expanse of the sky and so this was truly something special.
In the course of the conversation, Mum pointed up towards the bit of the sky just above our land and said, “That’s my piece of the sky!”
We all laughed. It felt nice to imagine we owned a bit of the sky too! We even went on with a pretend conversation of how the flights that passed by would have to get our permission to pass through and so on . . .
:-)

You know, there is some truth to that thought however. Where I live / study / work can be called my piece of the world. And so what I do with it matters. Like say, my home. It is a small piece of the world trusted into my care. And what I do and how I do things affect the people and the environment in this piece of the world.
Make that a little bigger. Say my street. That’s still my piece of the world too. And I can do a lot to make it a better or worse place. Now make that a little bigger. . .

You see where I’m heading? If I get thinking this way, I’m sure I’d do a whole lot of things a whole lot differently ‘coz it is “My piece of the world!”
Now, it’s true, that’s a pretend thought, but it sure is worth pretending.

Dear Mister God, this is @ina talking . . . A piece of the world, your world, trusted to my care! I find that hard to twig. It says a lot about the way you see me.

No comments: