Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Time and Space

An interesting extract from a book I read . . .

"On the night of February 23, 1987, an astronomer in Chile observed with his naked eye the explosion of a distant Super Nova, a blast so powerful that it released as much energy in one second as our sun will release in 10 billion years. It was spectacular!

But did that event actually occur on February 23, 1987?

Only from the perspective of our planet. Actually the Super Nova exploded 170,000 years prior to our 1987, but the light generated by that far away event, traveling almost six trillion miles a year, took 170,000 years to reach our galaxy . . . "

It is a little mind blowing, to me. The extract defies my normal understanding of time which is limited by the perspective of our planet. (Think about it)But I let this limited perspective of mine, dictate my understanding o the universe, my understanding of life, and my understanding of God!

Dear Mister God, this is @ina talking . . . I sometimes limit you by my limited understanding. Try to put you in a box so to speak. It's awesome to remember that you are not limited by my limitations of you though.

2 comments:

NoViCe said...

I totally agree. But its so hard not to do it. Its probably because we are afraid of things we cannot reason out with our pea sized brains :) ...

Anita said...

Hi again!

You know you got a point there novice - *Fear* of things we cannot reason.
Yeah, that could be it!