Wednesday, December 28, 2005

The Cost

I was having a discussion with a doctor, X who practices medicine in a small town. X was talking about two patients A and B who had come to X over the week. Both had suffered from a heart attack.

A was over 70 years old. X used up much of the hospital resources to try to save A's life. After prolonged treatment the patient A died. B came in later. B was young and was brought in by the wife. B was not treated, just given a pain killer and died shortly.
The reason?
A had money. B had none.

The explanation was simple. Medicine comes at a cost and someone needed to be willing to pay the price or else... the rest is history.
No matter how I look at this, I just can't take it in. But it's the truth. And it happens everyday, everywhere.

"Someone needs to be willing to pay the price..." The words echo in my mind. I can't help but think how miraculous the story could have been if that someone existed.

Dear Mister God, this is @ina talking . . . I'm willing to pay the price.

No comments: