Sunday, December 18, 2005

To Know

In a conversation, X made this observation: 'Until I know what I do not know, I will not be able to know'.

Confusing? You are not alone.

X went on, 'You see, unless I am aware of what I don't know, I can't know it!’
In other words, until I know what infact I don't know I will not be *able* to know!

Does that mean if I don't know something exists then it does not exist for me?
I guess so...
And if it does not exist for me or according to me then how can I know it?
I just can't, coz my mind won't allow it...

Like for example, if I did not know a language called English existed then it does not exist for me. Right?
And how can I know it since it just does not exit according to me?

The point X was trying to bring out was this: You need to be told what you don't know, so you could make an effort to know.
Worthy point!

Also, X got me thinking about how my mind-frame could either help or hinder me from knowing. I have a very fixed notion about things built on years of experience, now that I’m grown up. What I don't know is often termed as not worth knowing by me. I could be skeptic.
On the contrary in a child’s world anything and everything exists. You could talk to a child about green eyed monsters or tooth fairies, everything goes. They all *exist*. And perhaps that's the reason they find knowing easy. Everything and everybody is given the benefit of doubt.

To know, I not only need to be told what I don't know, I also need to be willing to give myself a chance of knowing.

Dear Mister God, this is @ina talking . . . Traveling back on memory lane, I remember the time when I first came to know that I could know you. I was so surprised, even shocked. I’m glad you met me when you did. I doubt I’d give myself a chance of knowing you now.

No comments: