Thursday, December 08, 2005

The Mirror

Guess that the best thing about a mirror is that the mirror never lies. It shows me exactly as I look. My eyes, my nose, my hair - It's a reflection. I can't claim to be actually different looking, can I? No, don’t think so. Even if I did - well, no one will believe me.
Fair enough! :-)

The fact is the mirror excels at showing me as I look like.
However it is also a fact that the mirror hides who I am.

Life is a lot like that too. It shows us what things look like but not what they are. Undoubtedly they look that way and if we dare to think any different, no one would believe us. Can't blame them either.

But with life as with a person we need to see beyond what things look like and find the truth. And the truth does not always look like what we see.
And to get there we need to be guided by faith, vision, hope and love. All the four, most of all love is mystical.

Am I getting a little confusing here? I can't help it . . .

Dear Mister God, this is @ina talking . . . actually listening. I’m done with the talking bit. ; - ) That’s what I hear you saying.

7 comments:

R Karthick said...

What if the the mirror and your eyes lie?

What if your eyes, is not that accurate as you though it to be?

What if...?

a girl said...

You know, there may be some truth to what r karthick says.

Technically, you will *never* see yourself the same way people see you (physically) because the mirror always presents you with a reflection of what you look like, its always the reverse of reality. I know this had nothing to do with the point of your post - but I thought it was interesting to point it out ;)

Just as an aside, I was having a very similar conversation the other day with a friend about "Active Listening" - she said: "Listen to what they're not saying" (i.e. that which you do not see)... just reminded me of your post.

Anita said...

r karthick,
Thank u for posting. =)

Ya, that's a possibility!
And perhaps the point. Perceptions are not essentially the truth...!

A girl,
That's an interesting observation. Glad you put it down!

The *reverse of reality* - I'm still contemplating on that. Can you elaborate?

"Listen to what they are not saying"
I like that! =)

R Karthick said...

> "Perceptions are not essentially the **truth**"

:-)

Well thatz the interesting point here. Thatz why the whole discussion has been started.

I admit I cannot prove myself right, @ the same time, I know you cannot prove me wrong!!! You cannot negate the possibility of the existence of that Perception.

I will always stick to my "What If" unless or until somebody proves me wrong, coz I find it exciting that way.

:-)!!

Am enjoying this discussion!

a girl said...

"The *reverse of reality* - I'm still contemplating on that. Can you elaborate?"

Oh, hmm. Okay:

Stand infront of the mirror, and raise your right arm. Look closely, and it's the reflections *left* arm that's moving, NOT the right arm. Get me now?? You'll never *see* it in the exact same way you actually *do* it.

Ha, it's a pretty pointless point, but a point all the same :)

Anita said...

Hi again!

r karthick,
Ya, perhaps we'd settle with what if?!
=)

a girl,
Yes, the mirror is a reflection and hence the reverse no doubt. I was actually wondering if you were saying that in terms of a metaphor of life... It is I guess.

I was thinking along the lines of how sometimes the reverse gear really does help in reality. Like for example - When one wants to be heard, one tends to shout but a whisper probably works a lot better.

Dunno if I’m getting anywhere with this, and perhaps I’m sounding a lot more confusing...

Like I said, I can’t help it...

But hey! I don’t think that’s a pointless point. =)

Anita said...

Just a thought:

“The best Mirror is an old friend!”

An friend sent me these words.
I can see the truth in it.
=)