Tuesday, December 13, 2005

From behind the glass window

I was in this high raised building in the city center. I pressed my face against the glass window on the top floor and watched. I stood in a comfortable place and the world out there looked a little cold. There was a heavy drizzle. People were hurrying by on the side walk. The peak hour was just going to begin and already vehicles were pilling up in the cross-section a short distance away. There seemed to be a chill breeze.

I could see but I could not feel what it would be like to be out there. From behind the glass window I was cozy and comfortable and in fact I did not want to venture out.

It made me wonder about how much I wrap myself in my comfort zone. I surround myself with known sounds, faces and situations. Many a time I watch safely from my hiding place when others venture out and try something new. But I dare not myself. I'd just rather cling to the familiar. It's hard and takes courage to make that decision to step out of my comfort zone.

But Life from within my comfort zone is a lot like life from behind the glass window. . .

I have this poster in my room with a picture of a dove flapping away that reads :
"It takes courage to push yourself to places you've never been before...
to test your limits, to break through barriers."
...Just thought I should put that down.
:-)

I did step out of the building finally. It was a small step.
It was worth it.

Dear Mister God, this is @ina talking . . . When I am tempted to stay back, do remind me to step out instead.

2 comments:

Anita said...

"The brave may not live forever but the coward does not live at all." It's said.
Could that be me? I can't help wonder. . . Hmmm...

Comforting thought: I'm making a lil progress one small step at a time.

Anita said...

Came across this and just felt I must share…

“Faith is always in the *red*. When you are comfortable believing God for one thing, God shakes you out of your comfort zone and says “Now do that”!